Clafouti(s) - Fruit with Chocolate
May 10, 2020
From Winemaker Penny: Traditionally this dish is made with cherries originating from the Limousin area of France. Most any fruit can be used- sliced pears, blackberries, blueberries are some of my favorites. The chocolate just adds a bit of fun!
- 1- 2 cups sweet cherries- fresh or frozen, stemmed and pitted. Have enough to line the bottom of your dish
- 3 Large eggs, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup All-purpose flour (gluten free works well with this recipe)
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Whole or low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup Large-chopped semi-sweet chocolate (optional)
- Softened butter, for preparing the baking dish
- Powdered sugar for dusting the finished cake
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9 inch pie plate or a shallow baking dish liberally with butter.
- 2. Lay the fruit in a single layer in the baking dish.
- 3. In a standard blender, or using an immersion blender and a bowl, mix the eggs, flour, vanilla, cup sugar, and milk together until smooth.
- 4. Pour the batter over the cherries.
- 5. Sprinkle the chocolate over the top.
- 6. Bake the clafoutis for about 45 minutes- custard should be set and the top brown. This does rise up - Check with a knife, it should come out clean.
- 7. Remove from the oven and let cool for about 30 minutes- the top will sink- this is alright.
- 8. When ready to serve sprinkle with the powdered sugar.
Warm is best, but I eat this for breakfast the next day cold and it is still delicious. It's a wonderful pairing withe Breathless Blanc de Noirs! Cheers!